This is my basic forty five minute+ Chili recipe that serves as the base for all other chili recipes. All the flavor comes from whole ingredients like onions, tomato, beef, bacon and chili peppers. None of that powdered stuff.
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 strips smokey bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 fresno chilis, finely chopped
- 1.25 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 16 oz kidney beans
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- Prep bacon, onions, and chilis by chopping and setting aside on a platter.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large dutch oven over medium-low heat. Sauté bacon for 3 minutes until edges begin to crisp. Add onions and chilis and cook through for 8-10 minutes until tender and onions begin to brown.
- Add lean beef to the dutch oven and stir for several minutes until all the meat is thoroughly incorporated.
- Once beef is cooked through taste for salt and pepper is desired. Add crushed tomatoes and water and stir to combine. Simmer over low heat for 35-45 minutes and the chili has begun to thicken.