This Fennel salad would be great any time of year but it’s especially great in the spring. By thinly shaving the fennel in a mandolin and breaking it up in a bowl with vinegar, you can easily eat this root vegetable without cooking it.
This salad has pistachios, apple cider vinegar, really good olive oil, and fennel fronds. These could be replaced with peanuts, rice wine vinegar, a little sesame oil and some Thai basil. I wouldn’t substitute the bib lettuce though. Ugh. So good! This is truly one of my favorite salads.
- 1 Fennel Bulb thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios
- Grape Tomatoes quartered
- 1 head bib lettuce ripped in pieces
- Fennel Fronds
- 2 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- Pepper to taste
- Thoroughly wash and dry the bib lettuce.
- Tear apart with your fingers and line the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add salt and vinegar. Whisk to combine and slowly add the oil to incorporate.
- Whisk in diced shallots.
- Slice fennel with a mandolin and mix with your hand.
- Gently fold in pistachios and then the grape tomatoes.
- Use your hands to add mixed fennel salad to the top of the the bib lettuce.
- Grind fresh black pepper over salad.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @eatupkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #eatupkitchen.