This simple stir fry with flank steak, broccoli and peppers comes together quick with one of the best homemade stir fry sauces ever! The most important step to this recipe is prepping the ingredients before you start cooking. Stir fry happens fast so you want to be ready. Besides, a clean kitchen is a safe kitchen! Trust me – I sliced my finger making this recipe reaching for some green onions.
Prep the steak by slicing it across the grain in to 1/8th inch slices. Transfer it to a bowl and let it marinate in a little rice vinegar and salt. Next, blanche the broccoli for 60 seconds. This not only starts the cooking process, it also turns the broccoli a more appetizing vibrant green. You can use any bell or chili peppers you’d like. I went with a mix of red, yellow and orange. These peppers are going to be much sweeter than their bitter green brothers. Perfect for this stir fry. When stir frying, you’re cooking in batches. If you were to toss everything in a once, you’d be stir steaming and probably most of it would end up on the floor.
Speaking of steaming, when you’re ready to cook the steak, transfer it to a paper towel first to dry it off. The vinegar and salt marinade will tenderize the meat but if you were to toss wet steak in the pan it’s just going to steam itself. That’s yucky.
The sauce for this stir fry is killer. Soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, water, garlic, and cornstarch. That’s it! Once you’ve made this I don’t think you’re going to order beef and broccoli from the take out place again. And yeah, I know you can get a bottle of stir fry sauce. Look, that bottle serves one single purpose. It’s taking up valuable space in your fridge and you’re only going to use it a couple times a year. This is better, you’re making it from scratch (impressive!) and you already have most of ht ingredients taking up space already.
Flank Steak Stir Fry with Broccoli and Peppers
Yield 3-4 Servings
Making stir fry at home is easy, delicious, and faster than delivery. You'll never order take out again once you taste this simple stir fry sauce!
Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
- 3/4 lb flank steak
- 2-3 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 2-3 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 tbs minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tbs rice vinegar
- Vegetable oil
Stir Fry Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients and stir until corn starch dissolves.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil.
- Slice flank steak in to 1/8th slices across the grain.
- Transfer in to a medium bowl with a few tablespoons of rice vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Mix meat with vinegar and set aside.
- Cut the broccoli heads in to large bite size pieces and blanch in boiling water for 60 seconds.
- Remove, drain well, and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with vegetable oil and stir fry garlic and ginger for 60 seconds.
- Add sliced peppers and stir fry until they become tender.
- Remove peppers and set aside.
- Add broccoli to pan and cook just until a knife can easily pierce the stalk.
- Set broccoli aside.
- Transfer steak to a paper towel and dry thoroughly.
- Add some more oil to the pan and heat the steak for no more than 30 seconds per side.
- Add peppers, broccoli, and green onions to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Clear an area in the middle of the pan to add the stir fry sauce. Stir as you slowly add it to the pan.
- Stir Fry well until all the ingredients are well coated with the sauce.
- Serve garnished with some thinly sliced green onion, cilantro, sesame seeds or crushed peanuts.