This simple and flavorful Mexican pork stew with tomatillos can be prepped in under 25 minutes. The sauce is made with just a few ingredients you’ll combine in a blender or food processor. The bright acidic tomatillos melt away and thicken the sauce as they stew with the pork for about two hours. Leaving the husks on while they cook adds a wonderful earthiness to the stew. You can just pull them out when the dish is complete. This is a lazy day stew you should keep readily available.
Mexican Pork and Tomatillo Stew
Yield 4 Servings
Adapted from Diana Kennedy's Chilayo, this pork stew only has a handful of ingredients and not a lot of prep time. The sauce is made with just a few ingredients you'll combine in a blender or food processor. The tomatillos melt away and thicken this stew that cooks on the stove top for around two hours. Serve over long grain white or brown rice with sauce. Garnish with jalapeños, cilantro, finely diced white onion.
- 2 lbs country style pork ribs cut in to 2 inch chunks.
- 1 lb green tomatillos, well cleaned, quartered with husks on.
- 3 rehydrated ancho chilis
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 serrano chilis, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup reserved ancho chili water
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar.
- Salt to taste
- Place the pork in a large sauce pan with just enough salted water to submerge. Simmer uncovered over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Rehydrate 3 ancho chilis in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from hot water and set aside to cool.
- Once cool to work with, remove stem and seeds and roughly chop.
- To a blender add the ancho chilies, cumin seeds, roughly chopped serranos, white onion, bell peppers, cider vinegar, garlic, 1 cup water and 1/2 cup reserved ancho chili water.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Add the sauce and quartered tomatillos to the pork. Stir and simmer uncovered for up to 2 hours or until sauce has reduced by half and thickened.
- Serve over long grain white or brown rice with sauce. Garnish with jalapeños, cilantro, finely diced white onion.