Potatoes and peppers sounds pretty pedestrian, right? This recipe with balsamic vinegar, greek olives, and fresh basil elevates a boring side dish to something you could easily serve as a main course. I’ll certainly be serving this at my next dinner party. And, in case you’re wondering, yes, this would be fantastic on a sausage sandwich.
I’m constantly on the look out for easy and impressive recipes for dinner parties and cookouts. Having made this recipe recently, I have to say this is destined to be a staple dish for any event I have coming up. Bookmark this one!
Potatoes and Peppers
The addition of balsamic vinegar, black olives, and basil elevates regular potatoes and peppers to something a little more Mediterranean than your average side dish. This dish could stand to be prepared at least 2 hours, if not 24 hours in advanced. This would be great to serve at a diner party or back yard cookout. Or, just something to have in your fridge to snack on for a few days!
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. small red new potatoes, sliced 1/2" thick and boiled until almost tender
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium red peppers, 1" dice
- 2 medium green peppers, 1" dice
- 4 cups roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat half the butter and half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and sauté until crisp and brown. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter and oil. Add onions and garlic, sauté until soft.
- Add peppers and tomatoes and cook until just tender.
- Transfer potatoes, peppers, and remaining ingredients (except for basil and scallions) to a large bowl and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature and garnish with basil and scallions.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @eatupkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #eatupkitchen.