Sweet Potato Tots! Gosh!
When your farm share drops off six pounds of sweet potatoes for the week, you have to get a little creative with yer taters. Of course you could boil’ em, mash ’em, or put them in a stew, but this was an opportunity for me to make something I hadn’t before. Turns out, tots are light on ingredients and they’re gosh darn easy.
Some tots use flour as a binder. Some tots are oven-baked. Some tots are prettier. I’m using egg white as a binder, I’m deep frying these tots, and I like these rustic burnt tip taters. They’re not vegan but they are gluten free – if you’re in to that sort of thing. To make these Sweet Potato Tots we’re going to peel and cut, boil and cool, grate and form, freeze and fry. It’s a little bit of a process but it goes by fast. You should be tot trotting in about 45 minutes.
Once the taters are peeled and cut in to large chunks we’re going to boil them for no more than 10 minutes. This extracts some of the starch and makes them easier to grate and form in to tots. Let the grated taters cool completely before you mix them up with the egg whites and spices. When you form the tots you can make them in to rough tot-like shapes before you freeze them for a half hour. I like the bits of roughness and crunchy burnt tips but you can smooth them out just before you toss them in the fryer if you’d like. To fry the tots, heat up three cups of vegetable oil in a large pot or dutch oven. You’ll want to work with high heat here, around 375°F, as they’re already mostly cooked. The result of a quick fried, par-cooked potato with the egg white binder is a light and fluffy tot. Skip to recipe.
If you’re in to Sweet Potatoes you should check out my Smokey Roast Sweet Potato Wrap recipe.
Sweet Potato Tots with Sriracha Sour Cream
Yield 30 tots
These tots are par-cooked to extract some starch, grated and bound with egg whites, then frozen for a half hour before frying. The result of these par-cooked then deep fried taters is light and crispy tots with a fluffy interior.
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 3 tbs sour cream
- 1 tbs sriracha
- 3 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut in to large 2-3 inch chunks.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and boil the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and run under cool water. Allow to cool and dry for at least 10 minutes. Grate the potatoes with a large box grater and spread out to completely cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the egg whites, cumin, cayenne, cardamom and salt. Add the grated sweet potato to the eggs and mix well. Form grated potatoes in to small rectangles or balls with your fingers. Set aside on wax or parchment paper then freeze all the tots for 30 minutes. Keep them in the freezer until ready to fry.
- Heat 3 cups of vegetable oil to 375°F in a medium pot. Transfer the tots right from the freezer to the hot oil. Deep fry them for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel to drain and cool off. Add a dash of sea salt.
- Serve hot or warm with a Sriracha Sour Cream dipping sauce composed of 3 parts sour cream to 1 part Sriracha.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @eatupkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #eatupkitchen.