Turkey Lentil Cabbage Rolls covered with Tomato Sauce and Grated Cheese is my lighter take on the classic beef and rice version.
- 1 lbs. ground turkey breast
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3 tbs. minced garlic, divided
- 1/4 cup parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan reggiano
- 1/2 cup grated provolone
- olive oil
- Bring a slightly salty large pot of water to boil. Remove any ugly outer leaves of the cabbage and discard. Blanch a dozen cabbage leaves in batches until they’re pliable. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add 1 cup lentils and two cups water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Incorporate 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and half the parsley with the tomato sauce.
- Sauté the onions with a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the onions become tender add the celery, carrots, and 2 tablespoons minced garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until vegetables are tender. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Break the ground turkey in to tiny pieces as its added to the skillet. Season with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Work the turkey with a wooden spoon to cook thoroughly and to break in to small pieces. Add a 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce, the sautéed vegetables, drained lentils, and half the chopped parsley. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare a cabbage rolling station with a stack of blanched cabbage leaves, a bowl of the turkey lentil filling, grated parmesan, tomato sauce, and baking dish. Add a few tablespoons of tomato sauce to a baking dish.
- Spoon some of the turkey lentil filling on to a cabbage leaf and top with some grated parmesan cheese. Fold the left and right sides over the filling then the top. Roll it down to complete the ‘roll’. Transfer the cabbage roll to the baking dish and repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves.
- Spoon tomato sauce over cabbage rolls then cover with grated parmesan and provolone cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely. Garnish with chopped parsley.