Pucker up for this sweet and sour Citrus Salad with a hint of heat! Serve this along with any summery grilling foods like hot dogs, hamburgers, and ribs.
This Citrus Salad is a super refreshing side to serve on paper plates with potato salad and hot dogs. Perhaps you’ll bring this instead of that (gross) Ambrosia Salad? The core of this salad is made with Oranges, Grapefruits, Seedless Red Grapes, Lime Juice and Orange Blossom Honey. I’ve added a bit of Cucumber Slices and Mint for some earthiness. My favorite part is the crushed Pistachio for texture and just one red chili for a hint of heat.
Salads like this are great to put together at the last minute. It’s easy to chop up a few oranges and grapefruits and mix them up with stuff thats sweet, sour, spicy, and crunchy. I’ll post my recipe below but I’d love to hear some of your ideas for a delicious summer salad like this. Are there any limits? Pineapples, apples, strawberries, peaches, watermelon? Can they all go in one bowl or is there a tipping point? What’s something you would NEVER put in a citrus or fruit salad?
- 4 Valencia Oranges segmented
- 2 Red Grapefruits segmented
- 1/2 pound seedless Red Grapes quartered
- 1 Red Chili finely chopped
- 1/4 English Cucumber finely sliced.
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 Tbs. Orange Blossom Honey
- 1/4 cup crushed Pistachios
- Fresh mint minced
- Segment the Oranges and Grapefruits in one of two ways. 1. Peel the skin off by hand then peel away segments. Chop each segment in half or thirds. 2. Use a knife to carefully carve away outer skin and pith. Slice each fruit segment out between membranes then chop each in half or thirds.
- Add Lime Juice and Honey to a medium bowl. If following option 2 above, squeeze juice from discarded parts in to bowl. Mix well to dissolve honey with juice.
- Combine remaning chopped, sliced, and minced ingredients in bowl. Chill for up to 2 hours before serving.