These simple Chewy Dinner Rolls are perfect little bread bombs for sopping up Thanksgiving Gravy. Instead of milk and eggs, potato flakes are used to give them a light fluffy interior. I like them best when their warmed for a moment in the oven and spread with a nice pat of salted butter.
Watch out! These are addictive. These Chewy Dinner Rolls are the most fresh-from-the-bakery breads I’ve ever made. The list of ingredients are simple; flour, water, salt, yeast, sugar, olive oil, and potato flakes. Combine the liquids with the solids and allow to rise in a cool oven. A cool oven means this is probably the warmest corner of your home. My oven is usually about 90°F when it’s turned off. If you think yours is too cool, you can turn it on to it’s lowest setting for 20 minutes then turn it off.
Once the dough has risen in the oven, turn it out to a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough in to twelve small pieces then gently form each in to a small ball. Use your fingers to fold the ‘corners’ in to itself then twist the bottom seam clockwise to further tighten the ball. You want a nice smooth taut exterior. Place each dough ball on to a lined baking sheet to proof in the oven for another 20 minutes. Remove the rolls then preheat your oven to 400°F. Jus before you’re ready to bake these bad boys, give them a little wash of some beaten egg. This gives them their gorgeous golden coloring. Back your dinner rolls for about 15-20 minutes turning the baking sheet half way through.
Homemade dinner rolls might seem like a waste of time. Why not just go to the store and pick some up for $4? Sure. You could do that and there’s a good chance the first (or even second) time you make homemade dinner rolls you might not love your creation. Making bread at home takes practice. The reward is biting into something you made from scratch with your own two hands in your own home kitchen. With a little practice, and scouring the internet for reliable reproducible recipes, you’ll be surprised at how great homemade bread will be. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about preservatives and mystery chemicals in your store bought foods. Give these simple dinner rolls a try and let me know in the comment section below how they turned out!
Chewy Dinner Rolls
- 1 1/4 warm water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup potato flakes
- 1 beaten egg
- Combine water, oil, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl and whisk to incorporate. Allow to proof for 5 minutes. The yeast should start to foam on the top.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, potato flakes, and salt. Add the proofed water and stir until the mixture becomes a shaggy sticky dough. Transfer to a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes until dough is soft and smooth.
- Form dough in to a tight smooth ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover bowl in plastic wrap and allow to rise for 45 minutes in a cool oven.
- Punch down dough and turn out to a lightly floured work surface. Divide in to 12 equal size pieces. Form each piece into a tight, smooth ball using your fingers to fold four sides beneath itself. Then lightly grasp the bottom seem and twist clockwise to further tighten the ball. Transfer each dough ball to a baking sheet lined with parchment or silpat and cover with plastic wrap. Place in cool oven to rise for 20 minutes.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and turn oven on to 400°F. Allow to preheat then brush each roll with beaten egg wash. Place in oven and bake until golden brown, turning half way through, about 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool on sheet pan for at least 10 minutes before removing.