These gluten free Orange Almond Cookies are made with Almond Flour, Almond Paste, Butter, Sugar, Orange Zest, Salt, and Baking Powder. They’re topped with Almond Slices and drizzled with an Orange Sugar Glaze.
This delicious recipe for Orange Almond Cookies is pretty straight forward and can be use as the basis for other cookie recipes. Just remember that, combined, the butter and sugar should be half of the flour. This recipe makes about 20 cookies so, if you want to divide it in half you can use 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1/4 cup sugar.
This is gluten free not because I wanted to make a gluten free recipe but because when making Almond Cookies, it’s pretty advantageous to make them with Almond Flour. I’ve omitted Almond Extract but incorporated a little Almond Paste. This adds little pockets of chewy almond intensity.
Orange is always a great addition to almonds. These cookies just need a little orange zest in the cookie dough to accentuate the flavors. With that said, an orange sugar glaze is something extra special. Just whisk together a tablespoon of orange juice with a cup of confectioners sugar for the glaze. Lightly drizzle the glaze over the cookies once they’ve cooled after baking. You can also add a bit of cocoa powder and clove to this glaze for a contrasting flavor.
> Eat Up!
Orange Almond CookiesCourse: Desserts
These gluten free Orange Almond Cookies are made with Almond Flour, Almond Paste, Butter, Sugar, Orange Zest, Salt, and Baking Powder. And Almonds! Plus, a powdered sugar and orange juice glaze.
3 Tbs Almond Paste
1/2 Cup Butter Softened
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbs Orange Zest
1 Cup Sliced Almonds
5 tsp Orange Juice
1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- stand mixer works best but you can use an electric hand mixer or a combination of a fork, a whisk, and 100lbs of elbow grease. Beat the Almond Paste and Softened Butter to form a homogenous paste. Slowly add the sugar and whip on medium-fast speed until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with a silicone spatula. Add salt, baking powder, and almond flour. Beat at medium-low speed until combined and the dough pulls from the sides of the bowl.
- Add zest of one large naval orange. Beat until combined. Squeeze and reserve orange juice for the glaze.
- Wrap and refrigerate the orange almond cookie dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. If you cant fit all 20 cookies on one sheet, prep more than one.
- Portion out cookie dough into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls and place evenly on the cookie sheet. Use your fingers or a fork to flatten cookie dough into flat discs. Press a small portion of sliced almonds into each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes per batch or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove the baked cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the cookie sheet. They will still be very soft when they come out of the oven so this is a critical step.
- Once completely cooled, drizzle cookies with orange glaze.
- ORANGE GLAZE
- Whisk powdered sugar and orange juice until combined and thick. Optionally add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and a 1/2 tsp of ground clove.
- Anytime you’re using citrus zest in a recipe it’s best to scrub the fruit under warm running water with your hands. You should feel when the wax coating comes clean from the exterior.