Whether you’ve got people over for The Final Four,
The Super Bowl The Big Game, or just some Chutes and Ladders, this healthy Turkey Taco Salad comes together quick enough to feed a hungry group.
This is of course a very customizable recipe, more of an assembly, that can be made with dozens of different ingredients for any event. I went with turkey but you could go with beef or some shredded chicken or make a vegetarian version, too. I’d personally have the salad all assembled just as you see in the photo but you could have the sour cream and hot sauce on the side. Doing so would make this dairy free and easier on those with sensitive palates.
Let me know what else you’d put in your Taco Salad in the comments below!
Big Game Turkey Taco Salad
Whether you’ve got people over for The Final Four, The Big Game, or just some Chutes and Ladders, this healthy Turkey Taco Salad comes together quick enough to feed a hungry group.
- 1 lb. organic ground turkey
- 2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground chili pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 medium head napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 1 avocado, finely sliced
- 1/2 white onion, finely minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful cilantro, finely minced
- 2 fried corn tortillas or a handful from the bag, crumbled
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce (Cholula or Valentina)
For the Turkey:
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Thoroughly combine spices with ground turkey in a mixing bowl and add to the heated skillet. Spread the turkey around to make as much contact with the pan. Let cook for around 5 minutes or until the turkey begins to brown.
- Once the turkey has gotten some color, stir it around and break in to smaller bits. Lower heat to medium-low to fully cook through. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes and set aside on a clean plate when done.
For the Tortillas:
- Heat 1/4 cup corn oil in a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Test for sizzle with piece of tortilla. One hot enough, place entire tortilla in to hot oil to fry, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove tortilla from oil and place on layers of paper towels to dry and cool off.
- Once cool, break in to smaller pieces to put in to salad.
- Alternatively, use an unflavored, low or no salt chip from a bag.
For the Salad:
- Prepare the vegetables as instructed, (shred, mince, dice, etc.).
- Add cabbage to the bowl, season with a pinch of salt and squeeze 1 whole lime on top. Mix well.
- Arrange all other ingredients on top.
Cuisine Fresh Mex
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @eatupkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #eatupkitchen.