Is Banana Bread a Breakfast or Dessert? You decide! This family recipe takes 15 minutes to prep and 45 to bake.
My brother-in-law has been asking me to make his grandmother’s recipe for Banana Bread for a while now. I set a goal for myself to make it before Thanksgiving so here ya go! I actually made this pretty quickly late last night and let it sit overnight covered with a kitchen towel. If you can’t wait that long, warm banana bread is awesome – just let it cool for at least 15 minutes on a wire rack.
We can call it ‘bread’ as much as we want but you know this is cake, right? With that in mind, I really don’t know if this is a dessert or a breakfast. I served this with some sliced banana, walnut chunks, and homemade whipped cream. Making whipped cream at home is so easy. All you need is a cold bowl, a whisk, heavy cream, and elbow grease. Whip furiously for 5 minutes and you’ve got whipped cream! I added a but of sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to this whipped cream.
I’m not exactly a banana bread connoisseur but this is pretty great stuff! It’s nice and moist on the inside, it definitely tastes like bananas, it’s not too sweet, and I like the added walnuts a lot. The exterior was a bit over baked for me so next time I might try using oil instead of butter to grease the pan. I may have been having problems with my oven temp too. Make sure to check your bread with a tooth pick about 38 minutes in to the 45 minute bake time. The bread is done when the toothpick pulls out clean.
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- 2 Cups AP Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8x4 loaf pans.
- Using an electric mixer in a large bowl, cream together Butter and Sugar. Mix in the Eggs and Banana leaving some bigger bits of banana.
- Add Milk, Baking Soda, and 1/3 of Flour to the batter and fold with a silicone spatula. As the flour becomes absorbed add another 1/3 without over mixing. repeat for the final third.
- Fold in Chopped Walnuts.
- Distribute batter in to greased load pans. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Rotate half way through. Check bread with a toothpick around 38 minutes. Bread is done when toothpick pulls out clean and dry.
- Transfer banana bread to wire rack and cover with a kitchen towel to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.