Is Banana Bread a Breakfast or Dessert? You decide! This family recipe takes 15 minutes to prep and 45 to bake.
My brother-in-law has been asking me to make his grandmother’s recipe for Banana Bread for a while now. I set a goal for myself to make it before Thanksgiving so here ya go! I actually made this pretty quickly late last night and let it sit overnight covered with a kitchen towel. If you can’t wait that long, warm banana bread is awesome – just let it cool for at least 15 minutes on a wire rack.
We can call it ‘bread’ as much as we want but you know this is cake, right? With that in mind, I really don’t know if this is a dessert or a breakfast. I served this with some sliced banana, walnut chunks, and homemade whipped cream. Making whipped cream at home is so easy. All you need is a cold bowl, a whisk, heavy cream, and elbow grease. Whip furiously for 5 minutes and you’ve got whipped cream! I added a but of sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to this whipped cream.
I’m not exactly a banana bread connoisseur but this is pretty great stuff! It’s nice and moist on the inside, it definitely tastes like bananas, it’s not too sweet, and I like the added walnuts a lot. The exterior was a bit over baked for me so next time I might try using oil instead of butter to grease the pan. I may have been having problems with my oven temp too. Make sure to check your bread with a tooth pick about 38 minutes in to the 45 minute bake time. The bread is done when the toothpick pulls out clean.
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- 2 Cups AP Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8x4 loaf pans.
- Using an electric mixer in a large bowl, cream together Butter and Sugar. Mix in the Eggs and Banana leaving some bigger bits of banana.
- Add Milk, Baking Soda, and 1/3 of Flour to the batter and fold with a silicone spatula. As the flour becomes absorbed add another 1/3 without over mixing. repeat for the final third.
- Fold in Chopped Walnuts.
- Distribute batter in to greased load pans. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Rotate half way through. Check bread with a toothpick around 38 minutes. Bread is done when toothpick pulls out clean and dry.
- Transfer banana bread to wire rack and cover with a kitchen towel to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
I’m Anthony from Philadelphia. I started Eat Up! Kitchen because I love food. Not just that stuff you eat in the car or have GrubHubbed before you watch Game of Thrones, but the stuff that our history, culture, and tradition are built around.