Previously, on Eat Up! Kitchen…
I was having a hard time deciding on something quick and easy to make with the defrosting chicken breasts in my fridge. I’ve braised and I’ve nuggetted. I’ve pan roasted and I’ve souped. The weather was nice but I was feeling too lazy to clean the grill. Not lazy enough to make my own flour tortillas for chicken fajitas though!
So, now that our chicken is defrosted and our tortillas are sitting there being the best dang tortillas ever, let’s get cooking!
For the most part, seasoning your meat for things like tacos and fajitas comes down to personal preference. Some like more chili or cumin. Some people like it to be extra spicy or doused in some sort of sauce. I generally like my food to taste like the food it started out as; seasoning should elevate, not oppress, your food.
For my fajitas, I seasoned my chicken with simple ingredients like freshly minced garlic, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Cook the chicken in a pan over medium low heat then finish it in under the broiler. Add the vegetables to the same pan the chicken was cooking in so they can get the residual flavor left from the seasoned chicken.
I only took a few photos today because, well, wouldn’t you want to eat this ASAP?!
In a cast iron pan over medium low, cook the chicken for about 6 minutes per side. Check with a instant read thermometer and remove at 120°F. Set on an aluminum foil lined sheet pan and place under the broiler for 3 minutes per side or until charred.
Increase the flame to medium high and, in batches, add the vegetables to the well seasoned pan. Reheat Homemade Flour Tortillas per instructions and eat right away.
- 1 whole boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- juice of half a lime
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- Turn on broiler and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Quarter the chicken breast in to equal size pieces and place in to medium bowl.
- Add renaming marinade ingredients and massage in to chicken. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat skillet to medium low to cook chicken. Cook each side for about 5-6 minutes. Remove when internal temp reads 120°F.
- Place chicken on sheet pan and broil on each side, abut 3 minutes, until charred on the edges.
- Remove from broiler. Allow to rest for at least five minutes before slicing in to pieces.
- Slice vegetables in to 1/4 inch thick batons.
- Reheat stove top pan over medium high heat. Add veg oil if needed.
- In batches add vegetables back in to the pan the chicken was cooking in so they get well seasoned. When almost cooked through, but still crispy, taste for salt.
- Reheat flour tortillas in a covered pan with a little water to steam them.
- Assemble with additions like avocado, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and obviously lots of hot sauce.