In the time it takes you to watch a few cat videos on youtube, you could be eating this awesome summer salad! Once you’ve got your quinoa simmering in a covered pot, it only takes a few minutes to prep your veggies. If your ingredients are fresh, you really don’t need much seasoning or dressing. Just squeeze a couple limes over top and it’s heaven. This is a fantastic dish to bring to a cookout!!
If you’re not already cooking with quinoa, let me tell you it’s something you’re missing out on. I mean, rice and pasta are fine but all those carbs can fill you up. The Quinoa seed is nutritious and gluten free so you can practically eat as much as you like – guilt free!
I made this Mexican Quinoa Salad with a 50/50 blend of white and red quinoa. Someone should pull together some nutritional facts for this salad cause something this gorgeous HAS to be damn healthy.
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 ears corn decobbed
- 2 avocados diced
- 1/4 diced red onion
- 2 diced roma tomatoes
- 1 can pinto or black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbs cilantro
- 2 limes
- 1 serrano pepper finally diced
- Prepare the quinoa per package instructions; 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Fluff and set aside to cool before mixing with other ingredients.
- Remove the kernels from three ears of corn. Dice two avocados. Drain and rinse a can of pinto or black beans. Dice half a small red onion. Dice two roma or vine ripe tomatoes. Finely chop a tablespoon of cilantro. Finely dice one serrano or jalapeño pepper.
- Once quinoa has cooled, mix in a large serving bowl with other ingredients. Add lime juice and a pinch of salt for dressing.