Yes! QUICKLES are a thing! Quickles are quick pickled cucumbers that are ready to eat in about an hour. Or wait 24-48 hours if you can.
One of these days I’ll get around to making proper jarred pickles. I’m all about allowing time for ingredients to do their magic to produce the best possible results. Then again… why what when you have all the ingredients ready to go? I’ve been making quick pickles – Quickles – for a while now so I thought I’d share one of my recipes.
Here’s my cheat code for super quick pickles – boil vinegar to dissolve the spices, remove from heat then add thinly sliced cucumber. Cover with water, shake/stir, then transfer to the fridge. The hot brine poaches the thinly sliced cucumbers as they gradually cool down in the refrigerator. Once they’ve chilled, they’re ready to eat! Although, trust me when I say you’ll be greatly rewarded if you can let your Quickles pickle for at least 24 hours.
- 1 cup White Distilled Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Corns
- 3 Cloves Garlic thinly sliced
- 3-4 Bird's Eye Chilis minced
- 1 English Cucumber thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh cool Water
- In a small sauce pan add vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard seeds, pepper corns, garlic, and chilis. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and allow boil to stop. Add the hot vinegar and pickles to a glass container. Add enough fresh cool water to cover the pickles, about 3/4 cup, and stir to combine.
- Loosely cover container so steam can escape. Transfer to the refrigerator and allow to cool.
- Ready to eat in about an hour. Wait 24 to 48 hours for better results.