You can make Strawberry Whipped Cream at home! If you’ve never made your own whipped cream, now’s the time to start. Sure, you could buy the stuff in the red can or the blue tub but what’s the fun in that? All you need is heavy cream, sugar, water, and frozen strawberries.
If you’re lounging around and you just want a little spritz of the red can stuff on your ice cream, okay – go ahead. But if you’re going through the effort to make you’re own cake from scratch you owe it to yourself and your guests to make your own homemade whipped cream.
Regular white whipped cream is heavy cream plus powdered sugar. This recipe instead combines sweetened strawberry jam with whipped heavy cream. I’ve used Demerara sugar for this but you could use white sugar if that’s what you have. Feel free to add a pinch of salt, cayenne, or some bourbon for a little extra somethin’ somethin’!
Homemade Strawberry Whipped CreamCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Homemade Strawberry Whipped Cream goes great with homemade desserts like cakes and muffins!
8 oz Frozen Strawberries
1/3 Cup Demerara Sugar
1/2 Cup Water
1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Add sugar and water to a small pot and heat over medium heat to dissolve sugar. You can use white sugar if that’s what you have.
- Roughly chop up strawberries and add to the pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally until most of the water has evaporated and the strawberries have broken down.
- Optionally pass strawberry jam through a fine mesh sieve to eliminate chunks and seeds.
- Place strawberry jam in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Place a medium size bowl and the beaters from a hand mixer in the freezer.
- Add Heavy Cream to the cold bowl and beat with cold beaters of a hand mixer until cream is thick and pillowy – about 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to over-beat as that will result in butter.
- Fold in Strawberry Jam. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes prior to serving or using to decorate a cake.