This Polynesian inspired Grilled Pineapple Salsa is a great side to serve with Chicken, Steak, Pork, or Fish. I’ve got some kitchen tips for cutting this Pineapple so I’m subtitling this ‘How to Cut a Pineapple‘.
Once you’ve carved, sliced, and cored your pineapple, you can brush it with the marinade and grill it. Grill pineapple on medium-high heat to develop deep grill marks. Cut up the pineapple and the cucumber in to half inch bit-size pieces. Combine with habanero, macadamia nuts, Thai basil then stir together with any left over pineapple marinade.
This goes exceptionally well with Salmon Poached in Coconut Milk or Asian Chicken Tacos. I’m also thinking of some sort of satay of pork belly marinated in Dr. Pepper. Let me know what you serve it with!
Side note: Can someone tell me which is the correct usage here? 1 Polynesian Grilled Pineapple Salsa, 2 Grilled Polynesian Pineapple Salsa, 3 Grilled Pineapple Polynesian Salsa. I was going to title this Thai Grilled Pineapple Salsa but this recipe really takes a lot of cues from everywhere. Macadamia Nuts are native to Australia. Pineapples are native to Brazil and the Philippines. Habaneros are native to Brazil and Mexico. Thai Basil and Fish Sauce are mostly native to the Thai / Vietnamese regions. Let me know if there are any regional substitutes I could use for Cucumber.
Polynesian Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 Pineapple
- 1/2 English Cucumber chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped Macadamia Nuts
- 2 Habanero Chilis finely chopped
- 6 Thai Basil Leaves torn in to pieces
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbs Honey
- 1 Tbs Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbs Water
- For the Pineapple Marinade; whisk together Fish Sauce, Honey, Sesame Oil, and Water in a small Bowl.
- Carve, core and slice Pineapple in to rounds. Brush with marinade then grill on medium-high heat until dark grill marks are on both sides of the Pineapple. Chop grilled Pineapple in to bite size 1/2 inch chunks.
- Combine Grilled Pineapple, Chopped Cucumber, Macadamia Nuts, Habanero Chilis, and Thai Basil leaves in a medium bowl. Add reserved Pineapple Marinade and stir to combine.
- Chill for up to 2 hours before serving.