Is it Pumpkin-Spice-O’Clock yet? These Pumpkin Spice Cookies are a deliciously cozy treat for the fall weather. Now, let’s get past second-summer so we can enjoy these with a big glass of oat milk.
Remember when I made Homemade Pumpkin Spice last week? While I await your Pumpkin Spice Treat suggestions, I’m starting with these Pumpkin Spice Cookies. Hey, no hard feelings. It’s still nearly 90 degrees in the Mid Atlantic region. Who wants to think about tricks and treats already?
Frankly, I’m not really too big on cookies to begin with. These may be the third or fourth cookies I’ve ever made in my life. The first batch I made for Eat Up were these Tahini Chocolate Chunk Cookies (almost 2 years ago to the date!). These Pumpkin Spice Cookies are very loosely based on Fannie Farmer Sugar Cookies. I think Fanny would have really enjoyed these! If I do say so myself, they legit taste like they’re from the store.
Tips for Making Cookies
- Use Room Temp Butter.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in 3 or 4 batches.
- Start your mixer on low to avoid a flour bath.
- A sheet pan with tall sides will prevent even air flow on your cookies. Consider turning your sheet pan upside-down or use a cookie sheet.
- Allow the hot cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for at least 10 minutes. This final baking step will ensure your cookies crisp up.
- Portion out all your cookie dough balls then freeze them on a sheet pan. Transfer to a plastic bag and store for whenever you’re in the mood to bake a mini batch.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 1/2 C Unsalted Butter room temp
- 1/2 C White Sugar
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 C Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Spice
- Beat the Butter in a mixing bowl (hand or stand mixer) until smooth. Beat Sugar into the Butter until mostly dissolved. Beat in Egg, Maple Syrup, and Vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, add Flour, Salt, Baking Soda, Pumpkin Spice and whisk to combine. Beat a third of the Flour into the Butter. Repeat again, and again. Use a silicone spatula to get any dry bits from the side of the bowl and fold into the wet dough.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line cookie sheet with parchment or silpat (not wax paper).
- Portion dough out to cookie sheet using a 1 ounce scooper or a tablespoon rolling the dough between your hands to make a smooth but not tight dough ball. Bake the cookies in batches leaving at least one inch between cookies to account for spreading.
- Optional step - for extra Pumpkin Spice flavor dust the cookies with more Pumpkin Spice using a small strainer to shake the spice mix from above.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow cookies to rest for at least 10 minutes before removing from sheet pan.