Blend beans, roasted yellow pepper, corn, and corn tortillas in chicken broth for the sweet rich base of this Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili! That’s right, we’re busting out TWO small appliances for this White Bean Chicken Chili. It must be good.
Everywhere you turn, this Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili is packed to the brim with flavor. We start by blending a base for the chili. This includes a can of white beans, a can of sweet corn, a roasted yellow pepper, toasted corn tortillas, chicken broth and a splash of white vinegar. Then we turn to the stove top. Here we sear six seasoned chicken thighs in olive oil and butter for five minutes. The thighs are removed and we fry our onions, jalapeños, garlic, cumin, and coriander in the chicken fat. Add everything to a slow cooker plus two cans of beans and some fresh cilantro then cook on low for 4 hours.
This chili is intense. I roasted the yellow pepper right in the flame on my stove top then put it in a bowl wrapped with plastic. After a few minutes the burnt skin comes right off. I do the same with the corn tortillas. Just plop them right on the stove top to toast for a couple minutes. I flip them often with tongs so they don’t burn. These ingredients, along with a can of sweet corn, add a sweet and smoky element to this chili along with a silky texture. A tablespoon of white vinegar cuts through this super rich and silky base. Some lime would be great as well!
Pat the chicken thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Then sear them in a large skillet until the skin is brown and crispy and set them aside. While the onions and jalapeños are frying in the chicken fat, remove the skin from the thighs. You should save this crispy skin to top the chili as a garnish. I failed to do so because I dropped the skin in a bowl of water rendering them useless. When the onions are nearly tender, add the garlic and spices and cook until fragrant.
Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
- 3 16 oz. cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz. can sweet corn drained
- 1 roasted yellow bell pepper chopped
- 3 corn tortillas toasted and torn
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 bone in chicken thighs with skin
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 cups onions finely diced
- 3-5 jalapeños finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs coriander
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- In this order, add to a blender: 1 can beans, corn, yellow pepper, torn up corn tortillas, chicken broth, 1 tsp kosher salt. Allow to sit for 5 minutes for tortillas to hydrate. Blend until smooth then add to slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbs vegetable oil and 1 tbs butter. Pat chicken thighs dry with pepper towel then salt and pepper generously. Sear chicken skin side down for 5-6 minutes without moving. Chicken is down with skin is crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Add onions, jalapeños, and a pinch of salt to skillet over medium heat and fry until nearly tender. Add garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook until fragrant then set aside.
- Remove crispy skin from chicken and set aside. Chop up skin as garnish for chili.
- Add the blended base, the chicken, and the onion mixture to a slow cooker along with 2 cans of beans and chopped cilantro to the slow cooker. Set to low and cook for 4 hours.
- Serve garnished with crispy chicken skin, cilantro, and pickled jalapeños.