The Classic Caesar Dressing is so easy to make at home that there’s no reason to buy a bottle. So easy in fact that a blender just gets in the way. Of course this recipe includes egg yolks and the mandatory anchovies for maximum richness and umami.
The original Caesar Salad was all made table side in a single wooden bowl. The salad, the dressing, and the croutons were all made together, ingredients layered one on top of the other, for the entire table. If you ever have the chance to order one done as such I’d highly recommend it. Then let me know how it is! Our modern tastes and decades of tinkering and refinement mean what we pour ourselves out of the bottle vaguely resembles the original recipe. My take on the original recipe uses egg yolks, anchovies, olive and vegetable oil, reggiano, dijon, and black pepper.
I like to start this out with a nice paste of garlic and anchovies. Using a micro plane allows you to make quick work of the garlic. Anchovies are already so tender that you can basically just use the side of your knife to smash them to a paste. Combine the garlic and anchovies and transfer them to a bowl. Add two egg yolks and whisk for 60 seconds to emulsify with the garlic and anchovies. Whisk in the dijon and then the lemon juice each for 60 seconds. Your dressing should be getting thick and creamy already. Get a kitchen towel and wrap it in a circle placed beneath your mixing bowl. This will keep it steady as you add the remaining ingredients. Slowly add the vegetable oil and olive oil as you whisk rapidly to emulsify. Use quick broad strokes to really whip it all together. Finish up the Classic Caesar Dressing by whisking in coarse ground black pepper and freshly grated Reggiano.
If raw egg yolks and anchovies aren’t your thing, check out my Easy Caesar Dressing recipe.
I love emulsifying stuff. Especially when I’m doing it by hand instead of using a blender. I tried this with a blender at first and it really didn’t give me the same consistency. Nothing beats good old fashioned elbow grease! Don’t worry, this only takes 3-4 total minutes of beating so I promise you won’t break a sweat. Enjoy your Classic Caesar Dressing on Romaine Lettuce or with crudités. Even better, search Eat Up! Kitchen for other recipes using homemade Caesar Dressings.
Classic Caesar Dressing
- 2 Garlic Cloves grated
- 3 Anchovies minced to a paste
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbs Vegetable Oil
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbs. Parmagennio Reggiano
- Salt to taste
- Grate the garlic in to a medium bowl.
- Finely mince the anchovies then use the side of your knife to smash them in to a paste.
- Add the anchovies to the garlic along with egg yolks and whisk for 60 seconds to emulsify.
- Add mustard and whisk to emulsify for 60 seconds. Repeat with Lemon Juice. Dressing should be thick and creamy.
- Wrap a towel under the bowl so it remains still on the counter. Slowly add vegetable oil to the dressing as you stir briskly with wide open strokes to emulsify. Repeat with Olive Oil.
- Add coarse ground black pepper and freshly grated Reggiano and whisk to combine. Taste for salt.