I was having a hard time deciding on something quick and easy to make with the defrosting chicken breasts in my fridge. I’ve braised and I’ve nuggetted. I’ve pan roasted and I’ve souped. The weather was nice but I was feeling too lazy to clean the grill. Not lazy enough to make my own flour tortillas for chicken fajitas though!
Picking up where I left off with ravioli making, flour tortillas were significantly easier. I didn’t have to worry about the pasta dough flowing over the side of my table. I didn’t have to do the filling, the molding and the boiling. You just have to bring the flour together, knead, divide, and roll out before you cook them for a couple minutes on a warm skillet. Your Mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make these suckers tonight!
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine AP Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Water, Vegetable Oil in a large mixing bowl and incorporate until shaggy.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and form in to a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 45 minutes.
- Divide dough in to eight equal-ish pieces. Roll pieces in to small dough balls.
- Take one of the dough balls and flatten in to a round disc with the palm of your hand. Roll out with a rolling pin until as flat as possible.
- For softer tortillas, heat a skillet over a low flame and warm for 45 seconds per side. For a little crispier tortilla (how I like them), heat the pan to medium low and flip every 10-20 seconds until nice and brown.
- To reheat /steam the tortillas, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat, add a few drops of water and cover for 30 seconds. You could wrap them in a damp towel and toss them in the microwave or oven as well. If you do this, be sure to separate each tortilla with parchment paper.