These Sweet n Hot Shrimp Tacos are marinated in cayenne, brown sugar, and lime juice. Take your time prepping your toppings then broil the shrimp in the oven for 1-2 minutes per side. Let’s not make a big deal out of this. It’s Taco Tuesday and you’ve got 30 minutes.
The thing with tacos is they’re super easy and usually pretty darn good looking. Even an ugly taco can be a good taco (put that on a t-shirt!). As long as I have tortillas in my house I’m not opposed to putting anything on a taco. Bacon Egg and Cheese Taco? Check. Sweet n Spicy Coffee Rubbed Flank Steak Taco? Check. Bahn Mi Taco? Hells yes. Chicken Parm Taco? Yup. Mac n Cheese Taco? Let’s tacoboutit.
This here’s your basic shrimp taco with roasted corn, avocado, cilantro, white onion, red chili, red cabbage, and lime juice. I marinated the shrimp in lime juice, brown sugar, cayenne, and salt while I prepped the ingredients then I used the marinade as a sauce. The best part was the corn and shrimp only took 10 minute total in the broiler.
Sweet n Hot Shrimp Tacos
These Sweet n Hot Shrimp Tacos are marinated in cayenne, brown sugar, and lime juice. Take your time prepping toppings then broil the shrimp in the oven for 1-2 minutes per side. Let's not make a big deal out of this. It's Taco Tuesday and you've got 30 minutes.
- 1 lb. Shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
- 4 limes
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 avocado finely diced
- 1 tbs cilantro, minced
- 1 red chili finely sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 ear of corn
- Cojita cheese
- Set oven to broil.
- Combine the juice of two limes, cayenne, brown sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Add defrosted shrimp and allow to marinade for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Add onion, avocado, half the cilantro, red chili, and the juice of half a lime in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Finely shred about 1/4 a small red cabbage and transfer to a medium bowl. Rinse with water and drain 3-4 times (this prevents bleeding). Add the juice of half a lime.
- Cut the 4th lime in wedges and reserve for plating along with half the cilantro and crumbled cojita cheese.
- Prep a sheet pan with a wire rack over top. Place the corn on top and broil for 4-5 minutes turning occasionally until all sides are charred. When cool to handle use a knife to slice off the charred kernels and combine with onion avocado mixture.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and carefully place on sheet pan with hot wire rack. Transfer to broiler and broil for 1-2 minutes per side. Reserve marinade.
- Transfer marinade to small bowl and bring to a simmer. Reduce liquid by half and serve over shrimp tacos.
- Assemble tacos with red cabbage, onion avocado corn salad, sweet cayenne shrimp, reserved cilantro, cojita cheese, and sweet n hot shrimp sauce. Serve with lime wedges.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @eatupkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #eatupkitchen.