Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup with Sausage is my first soup of the season! It’s not Squash Soup but it still screams Fall to me. This is loaded with kinds of veggies and it’s gluten and dairy free. Leave out the Sausage and sub Veg Stock for Chicken to make this Vegan.
I’m sooo happy it’s soup season!! Soups are basically just like stews except they have more liquid. So they keep you extra warm and you can stretch them out all week. Plus they transport and reheat super easily! Don’t forget to bring some to work (and tell them you got the recipe from Eat Up! Kitchen)!
This soup has a mirepoix foundation (onion, carrot, celery) and a bunch of mushrooms flavored with the fond left in the pan from crusty seared sausage. All the flavor and extra fat from the sausage give this soup a lovely mouth feel. I used a nice mild Italian sausage which I prefer for the fennel and a hint of sweetness it adds.
This recipe involves cooking the ingredients in phases. At the end, everything get’s put back in the pot and simmered to meld all the flavors together. If you dumped everything in the pot to cook at one time you’d have a mess of overcooked and undercooked ingredients. By cooking everything in phases you get the maximum flavor and perfect doneness of each ingredient.
It’s a pretty easy recipe but it does take some time. I’m sure you’ll find a short cut along the way. Having someone else help you with the prep work is a great shortcut to get a bowl of soup to the dinner table faster. Either way, this is GREAT soup. I had a bowl while writing this and I’m about to get another. I like mine with a little Parm Reggiano on top with some crunchy homemade garlic croutons.
- Eat Up
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- 12 oz. Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 1/3 Cups Onion Finely Diced
- 1 1/3 Cups Carrot Finely Diced
- 1 1/3 Cups Celery Finely Diced
- 10 oz. Mushrooms Thinly Sliced
- 32 Oz. Chicken Stock
- 64 Oz. Water
- 1 1/3 Cups Wild Rice
- 2 Cups Kale
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- Olive Oil
- Remove the casing from the Sausage and break links in to smaller bite size bits.
- Heat 1 Tbs. Olive Oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Sear sausage pieces in 2-3 batches until a crust forms on the bottom [5 min per batch]. Set sausage aside in a large clean bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 Tbs. Olive Oil to the pot. Sweat Onions with 1 tsp Kosher Salt until tender [5 min]. Mix in the Carrots and Celery and continue to sweat until tender [10 min]. Transfer vegetables to bowl with sausage.
- Raise heat to medium high. Add 1 Tbs. Olive Oil to the pot along with any juices and fat that has accumulated from the sausage. Add enough Mushrooms to just cover the bottom of the pan. Heat until the bottom begins to brown [2 min]. Push mushrooms to the side of the pan and repeat with enough to cover the bottom. Repeat this until all mushrooms are browned then transfer to the bowl with sausage and vegetables. Season with freshly ground black pepper (no salt)*.
- Add Chicken Stock, Water, and Thyme to the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring stock to a simmer then reduce heat to low [10 min].
- Rinse the Rice in a bath of cool water until the water runs clear. Add the Wild Rice to the stock, cover the pot, and cook for 10 minutes stirring once to prevent sticking.
- Stir the Kale in with rice, cover and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Remove the Thyme. Return the cooked vegetables and sausage to the pot. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Season to taste with Salt and Pepper.