This shaved vegetable salad accomplishes two things. It combines a bunch of complimentary vegetables and briny bits in to a delicious mouth dance and it looks good while doing it! This salad could actually stand alone with no dressing at all (or just a bit of olive oil and lemon juice) but I’ve happily prepared it with four.
I had just made some chimicurri and romesco sauces for other recipes so I gave them a shot with this salad. Not surprisingly, they worked out great; just another reason to have them on hand. I then mixed up a couple quick herby dressings with two different prep methods. The marjoram and mint dressing was easily whisked by hand. The tarragon and lemon dressing was blend with an immersion blender. If you’re keeping track, you’ll see the chimichurri was all chopped by hand and then blended by shaking vigorously in a mason jar. The romesco sauce was whizzed together in a standing blender. Four dressings and four methods to prepare them.
Click on each of the salads below to jump to their dressing recipe.
Shaved Vegetable Salad
- Pea Shoots
- Green Onions
- Red Onion
- Fresh Dill
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave ribbons of the carrots.
- Use a sharp knife for thin slices of asparagus, broccoli, green onions, and red onion.
- Use a mandolin for thin, uniform slices of cucumber.
- Finely chop the olives and fresh dill.
- Use crumbled or thinly sliced feta.
- Combine all in large serving bowl and dress simply with first press olive oil and lemon juice.